In Cleveland since 1889
Christ Lutheran Church has continuously ministered to the people of Cleveland, Ohio since September 29, 1889. For her first 121 years she was located on the corner of West 43rd and Robert Avenues, on Cleveland's near west side. By 2010, due to increased maintenance and shrinking membership, she could no longer manage her cathedral sized sanctuary. The building was de-commissioned and sold. For the next 5 years the congregation shared facilities with Unity Lutheran Church in the Old Brooklyn section of Cleveland.
In March of 2015 Puritas Lutheran Church, being down to six members, and having learned of the Christ Lutheran Church's quest for a sanctuary of her own, offered her entire property to Christ Lutheran Church as a gift. The paper work and other arrangements took approximately 8 months to complete, and on November 29, 2015 Christ Lutheran Church celebrated her first Divine Service in the new property in a temporary chapel.
Nearly 10 months later, on September 4, 2016, by God's rich mercy we celebrated our first Divine Service in the refurbished sanctuary. Three weeks later, on September 25, 2016, the building was formally dedicated with more than 150 people in attendance. Though we are still a long way from completion, this house of God is beautiful, reverent and worshipful. A great measures of faith, hope and love have been poured into it by her members, and by others whom God's Spirit has moved to lend their assistance. We are grateful to all, but especially bless, thank and praise the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, he who is the fount and source of every beneficence.
It is our prayer, that by God's continued mercy, we will be able to beautify this holy house even more. To that end on Saturday September 9, 2017 we replaced the empty cross with our new crucifix. The corpus was carved of wood, and painted, in Oberammergau, Germany. The cross was built by a retired carpenter locally, for the cost of materials only. This is the same craftsman who constructed our altar. The erection was completed by our members, it was an all day job for 15 people. But when it was done, it was love at first sight. Today, September 10, 2017, is the first Sunday it adorned our Divine Service, and the comments I heard were all positive. The crucifix sets a new tone, and reframes our theological thinking for the better.
We will formally dedicate the crucifix on Septerber 17, 2017, the Feast of the Holy Cross (observed). Our goal now is to locate all the lovely liturgical art we can find and tastefully install it in the church. The members of Christ Lutheran Church fervently pray that God will continue to bless this effort, and use this congregation to the furtherence of his glory and the blessing of all people in and through Christ.